This is the perfect Holiday drink. I think this is the drink equivalent to comfort food. It's a comfort drink. The fact that the drink is warmed plus the rum just warms the body all over.
2 cups of firmly-packed brown sugar
1 stick butter
1 pinch salt
3 sticks cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 cups rum (more if you like)
Topping: Whipped cream, ground nutmeg
- Put all ingredients (except rum and topping) in a crock pot and add 2 quarts of water.
- Stir well to dissolve sugar.
- Set crock on low for 5 hours - stirring a few times throughout the process.
- After 5 hours add the rum. If you add the rum at the beginning the alcohol will evaporate out.
- At this point just stir in the rum and get the mixture back up to heat.
- Use a ladle to put the Hot Buttered Rum into cups, add a dollop of whipped cream and grate some fresh nutmeg onto the whipped cream. An extra stick of cinnamon in each cup is a nice touch too.
I'm telling you, if you take this to a holiday party you will be loved and adored by your friends and relatives. And if you serve this at a holiday party you are hosting your entire place will just ooze with the scent of the holiday season. This is better than any holiday potpourri on the market.